lunes, 21 de marzo de 2011

migration

Language: We often take for granted that we can communicate, ask for things, complain, praise, and express our opinions from the most basic actions (like ordering coffee or asking directions) to more abstract uses of language that define meaningful interactions. Imagine having the option of moving somewhere to get a ‘better’ job, but you do not know the language, you will just be a tacit soul with productive arms, but muted voice. It would be as if you don’t exist, and worst yet, the world around you full with information would lack meaning, rhythm and life. For immigrants this can be one of the most important challenges, as it constitutes a barrier to opportunities, their daily functioning and ability to experience and comprehend the world around them comprehensively. Even when the person has some basic knowledge of the language, there are many occasions people find themselves “lost in translation”. Additionally, learning a new language and its nuances can take many years and countless moments of frustration, and helplessness.

To be in touch: being able to communicate with your loves ones, is one of the most basic ways of connecting with meaningful people in your life and act as a venue of support, gaining perspective, motivation and ease the adaptation process. The market has many options for this, and for those that are digitally literate using devices like Skype can make a great difference (in terms of cost and access), for others without these skills (and less economic means) staying in touch might be a luxury.

Rights and identity: struggles for recognition, identity, and belonging are some of the challenges many immigrants face. In many cases there is partial perception which fuels (amongst other elements) to systemic racism and discrimination ranging from explicit expressions to more subtle, but still oppressing ways to negatively permeate the dignity of them.

Visa for a dream (Visa para un sueño): the word VISA holds a meaning beyond any legal one for many wanting to enter or settle in a developed country (or in better socioeconomic standing than his/hers). It represents the first victory; a source of celebration, the formal beginning of that migration journey, and depending on the extent of the visa it represents the formalization of the permission to remain in that country. I have been a very blessed immigrant; however, things were not always smooth. I will never forget the day my I got my visa denied. I wore my best outfit, took weeks organizing papers and evidence of attachment to my country, which I love dearly. When it was my turn, without even looking at my paperwork, the agent said: “You do not qualify”. Those words will always remind me of power, abuse and hitting the red tape wall. In less than one minute, a individual that knew nothing (and probably did not want it to know anything) about me passed judgment, completely crashing my dream of using my English with people whose first language was English, of visiting a “mall”, of being in the homeland of snickers and baskin robins. I know it sounds dramatic, but it is something very meaningful. I also remember the first time I got a visa. I walked home being the happiest person on earth, we all celebrated that day. A few months ago I was at the airport waiting to visit my country, and I saw a Dominican proudly showing his Canadian citizenship to a group of people that he had just met. Although it might have seemed like an odd thing to do, for me, it made complete sense. He is safe, he belongs, and he is celebrated in his homeland because he “made it”.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario